Friday, July 8, 2011

God Speed Atlantis

Why do we say God Speed??  It is not just a general wish for a safe journey, or a generic "good luck", but a wish/prayer that they will have success in what they are setting out to do.  Thus, it is used mainly when someone is literally setting out, but can also simply be used to wish someone well in a venture they are embarking on, even if it does not involve a physical journey.

Today marks the last shuttle launch for Atlantis and it is a bitter sweet feeling.  "God Speed" seems absolutely fitting.  This is the end of a Chapter to a much greater journey.  I often find myself taking for granted living where I live and being able to experience such an awesome technology right in my own backyard.  I remember visiting Kennedy Space Center as a child and even visiting more recently... it is such a neat experience and getting to actually watch the shuttles launch make that experience even greater.

shuttle Atlantis (photo by Roberto Gonzalez/Getty Images North America)

This morning's forecast didn't look too great for a shuttle launch.  There was a 70% chance of delay, but as time went on, things looked more promising and the shuttle was able to launch for the last time without a hitch.

July 8, 2011 weather for launch (photo courtesy of cfnews13)

It is always amazing to me to watch the shuttle launch... I only wish today would've been more clear outside or that we could've had a beautiful evening launch, but then again I remember how blessed I am to even be able to see this amazing activity here where I live.  It truly is a blessing.

With all this said, God Speed Atlantis... may you have a safe and successful final journey.  I am so thankful for all the NASA memories from watching launches with my family, to visiting the space center, and just being able to experience everything the shuttle program has had to offer us.

Atlantis' last launch (photo by Joel Matira)

No comments:

Post a Comment